top of page
< Back



Biscuit, a 1974 Cape Dory Typhoon

Project Detail:


Mid-October through TBD

Project Scope: Hull and deck paint, structural repairs, brightwork assembly and refinishing, other tbd


Project Hours:  

Aft Deck Core Work & Interior Prep (3-16-24)

Mar 16, 2024

With other work drawing to a close, and eager to begin work on the Cape Dory Typhoon, I started in today with focused work on the aft deck, as well as some general organizing and assessment of the interior. Prior to Biscuit's arrival at the shop, the owner had opened up a portion of the aft deck with intent to make repairs to soft balsa core. With that repair yet to be complete, and exposed adjacent balsa core, I made it a priority to get this area repaired and again encapsulated in fiberglass to protect the broader area. Upon closer inspection, I did find additional areas of bad core, and so chased out those areas of wet or ineffective core with an oscillating tool - removing additional top skin (fiberglass) and core. The bottom skin was left intact and would support fresh balsa core. Satisfied with this area's now remaining more, I prepared the surface for its new core. I applied tape to the bottom of the bottom skin (inside the enclosed lazarette area, and only accessible through the inspection plate located on cockpit's aft vertical surface), these holes were from the mainsheet blocks. I thoroughly vacuumed and then solvent washed the area to remove any remaining detritus and contaminates.
Next, I applied some clear plastic to create a template to apply to the balsa core material; with the balsa core cut and trimmed to fit, I proceeded with mixing some neat epoxy (without thickener). I wet out the top and bottom of the new core material, as well as the deck area. With the remaining batch of epoxy, I thickened it with both 404 high-density filler and 406 colloidal silica, and pressed this into the ~ 3/8" voids I created around the perimeter of the deck opening. With the remaining thickened epoxy, I spread it on the top surface of the bottom skin and then placed the new core into position. I mixed another batch of thickened epoxy (only 406 colloidal silica), filled all remaining gaps, and then spread a thin amount on the top of the new core. Finally, I placed a layer of peel ply on top, followed by a layer of plastic, and then weights to keep the core pressed into the bottom skin.
With the main task out of the way, I cleaned out and organized the interior in preparation for work down below. The work down below will mostly be cosmetic, with the main structural item being a mast support system (tbd), and perhaps seacock replacement. The motor mount was removed as well, but this was done whilst working on the aft coring.

Total Hrs: 3.75

Anchor 1
bottom of page