top of page
< Back

Milbs Mobile Projects

Stay current on all Milbs Mobile Marine field work.

Project Detail: A Field Blog



Project Scope: This blog will cover the latest work being performed offsite.

Milbs Mobile Marine - Logo_edited_edited_edited.png

12) CD 27 - Glassing the Port Plate & Repairing a few voids to Stbd

February 17, 2024

I began with taking measurements of the port aft and port forward access spaces in order to make templates for the eventual fiberglass panels that would be installed. The backing plates, 1/2" thick G-10 board, stretched some ~40", and most all of that would be glassed to the side of the hull with three layers of 1708 biaxial cloth - the portion a few inches to either side of the primary bulkhead would not be glassed, the bulkhead itself preventing access to the hull. With measurements in hand, I created a couple templates to actual dimensions, showing cut lines for progressively smaller layers 3 through 1, and used these to remove panels from the 1708 cloth. The layup schedule is for three layers, beginning with the shallower layer and then progressively overlapping to the fullest dimension.
After I had prepared all six layers of fiberglass - 3 for the aft space and 3 for the forward space - I prepared some epoxy to wet out the surfaces to be laminated. Using a chip brush, I applied the "neat" epoxy, and with the balance of epoxy on hand I thickened it to form a fillet between the hull vertical and backing plate surface. I tackled the forward space first.
The port forward space was prepped with neat epoxy and a fillet had been formed, so I then mixed more epoxy to wet out the first (smaller) layer of glass. My work surface was a sturdy panel of cardboard covered in a layer of plastic sheeting. I wet out the 1708 biaxial, rolled it up to provide a more controlled application, and then placed it on the surface of the hull. I progressively worked through from the smaller #1 to the largest #3 layer of 1708 biaxial, overlapping each layer as I worked. I then repeated the same process for the smaller aft section on the port side. I finished each laminate schedule with a layer of peel ply.
Before knocking off for the day, I moved back over to the starboard side of the boat. The aft section, last and largest layer of cloth, cured with a few smaller voids (trapped air). I had applied thickened epoxy (whiteish in color) to a few spots of the starboard side prior to laying up the fiberglass panels, and what I thought was thickened epoxy turned out to be trapped air. The fix was no issue: I gently ground out the top layer of glass, exposing the void, and then proceeded to grind around the area until solid glass was achieved - the areas were a quarter in size. After grinding the few spots, I cleaned with acetone, and applied thickened epoxy to the shallow divots. Finally, and across the entire vertical surface, I applied a fourth layer of 1708 biaxial cloth. No more voids.

Total Hrs: 4.75

bottom of page