top of page
< Back



Biscuit, a 1974 Cape Dory Typhoon

Project Detail:


Mid-October through TBD

Project Scope: Hull and deck paint, structural repairs, brightwork assembly and refinishing, other tbd


Project Hours:  

Sanding Topsides (12-28-23)

Dec 28, 2023

After wrapping up some work on new the shop (completing the construction of the new trusses), I turned my attention back to Biscuit's topside paint removal. In places, I noticed the paint was beginning to fail, and would 'flake-off' is fairly sizable pieces. The flaked paint was more of a thin film - almost like it was the final topcoat, but did not adhere properly possibly due to poor surface preparation prior to painting. Regardless, the topsides are now removed down to original gelcoat with new paint to be applied prior to completion. I began at the port counter, and worked my way forward to remove the last of the topsides and where I had left off prior to the holiday festivities. Again, removal was done with the Bosch DA and 100 grit disks. Whether the toe and rub rail assembly is to be retained or new assembly is to be fabricated, I will look to remove the rails for better painting access and application, but also to make a more thorough review of the condition of the teak. Total Hours: 1.5

Anchor 1
bottom of page